While spending the weekend at my parent's house in Utah Jake and I decided it was time for Luke's first trip the zoo.

So, Friday morning, bright and early - okay it was 10:00 but that's early some mornings when you're trying to get out the door with an infant - we set out for the Utah's Hogle Zoo armed with our camera, a stroller, a diaper bag, extra clothes, jackets, snacks for everyone, etc. It began to take on the feelings of a true wildlife excursion by the time we got in the car and on the road. Of course, by the time we drove the 20 minutes it took to get to the zoo, Luke was asleep
and ready for his morning nap.

Now, Jake and I being the good parents we are and not wanting him to miss out on anything, woke Luke up shortly upon arrival and forced upon him the whole zoo experience. It was kinda chilly that morning but like I said before we came prepared for just such an occurence as well as for any other mild baby disaster which may have come our way. Now many of you may be thinking Luke is only 8 months old, what is he gonna get out of this? And to those of you doubting Thomas' I say, well you're right not a whole lot, but he really did seem entertained by watching the animals, particularly the monkeys and the giraffes. Okay, we confess, Jake and I contrived the whole outing as to relive our own childhood trips to the zoo through Luke, but fortunately for us he didn't really seem to mind that we were using him in such an obvious manner.

I did let him fall asleep again by the end, so please don't think I'm into b
aby sleep deprivation - quite the opposite in fact. My usual philosophy is the longer the nap, the happier we both will be. Overall, Luke's first trip to the zoo was a thumbs up experience. He is always so well-behaved when we're out and about that its really never a problem to take him anywhere - can you hear me knocking on my wooden desktop as I type this. I hope I didn't jinx myself with that last statement. I, of course, couldn't leave without a couple of souvenirs for him and since he's too young to beg for these himself I just went ahead and indulged him.

Our only real disappointment with the trip was that the Hogle Zoo no longer had the machines that made the little plastic animals that Jake and I remembered so fondly from our own childhood trips there. I guess you can't have everything.
No comments:
Post a Comment