Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Morning










Nothing can ever quite compare to the magic of Christmas morning. The awe and wonder in a child's eyes as they see the present-laden Christmas tree is pure joy. The whole mystery of Santa and how he managed to get those presents in your house is a question that weighs on many children's minds. I remember those ponderings myself and how I really didn't want to know the answer because somehow that would spoil the magic. I know that Luke does not yet get the idea of Santa or even getting presents for Christmas, but even as young as he is this year, he knew that Christmas was something truly special.

We've talked with Luke about the baby Jesus and how He is what makes Christmas wonderful. I don't know what has sunk in. For now, he likes to look at our nativity set and examine the figurines. We'll keep working on it and hopefully things will really start connecting the older he gets.

Today was one of the best days we've ever had as a family. We opted to spend it at home, just the 3 of us. We all got a good night's sleep, started the morning with breakfast, and then just enjoyed the whole Christmas morning experience. We let Luke take the time to play with each toy as he opened it without rushing or ignoring. Jake and I received so much enjoyment simply by watching his excitement and delight as each gift was unwrapped.

It was magical.

It was wondrous.

It was Christmas and one we will not soon forget.

No comments: