Thursday, February 19, 2009

Someone talk me down

...or else I may be permanently stuck in panic mode every time Jake goes to work for awhile. My morning started off pretty typical. I overslept, turned on cartoons for Luke so I could get ready unassisted, frantically trying to pick up the house before someone came over, and then I got a picture text from Jake entitled Jed's truck. This is what I saw when it finished loading:

Holy smokes! And yes I do mean that literally. I, of course, immediately had to call Jake and get the full story. I guess what happened, and hopefully I get this straight, is that Jake's brother Jed, who is a OTR truck driver, was driving down the highway in Montana, when he figures a fuel line must have started leaking and sprayed hot fuel onto the engine and a spark or something must have caused the fuel to ignite. Smoke started billowing up from under the hood, followed by flames, and by the time Jed was able to get the truck stopped smoke had filled the cab of the truck and flames were coming out. He walked away with the clothes he was wearing, his cell phone, and small burn on his arm. Everything else completely gone. The above picture was taken with his cell phone. A passing motorist, who wasn't too far behind him, gave him ride to the next town and the fire department came and got the blaze under control before it spread to his trailers. Here's the truck afterwards:

As many or most of you know, my husband Jake is also a truck driver. However, he drives a bulk double tanker fuel truck. That's right he hauls fuel and delivers it to local gas stations and businesses. Or in other words, he drives a mobile bomb around. His truck is similar in make to this model below. I have had my concerns in the past, of course, but nothing brings those worries to the forefront as say a close family member's truck burning to the ground. Yikes!! Jake is a safe driver but so is Jed and this incident had nothing to do with safety. It was an accident. Accidents happen. I know this. We do all we can to prevent but you can't prevent or predict everything. It scares me. Sometimes I would really rather not hear Jake's stories about close calls and near misses. I'd rather stick my fingers in my ears or figuratively, my head in the sand. Instead, I pray each and every day for his safety and the safety of others that he encounters. Also, I know if anything were ever to happen *knock on wood that it doesn't - can you hear me knocking? I hope you're knocking too* that there is a divine master plan and everything will work out. I know this. I KNOW this. *Deep breath* Okay, I think I can come down out of my tree now. It has helped to just type that out and put it out there in cyber space. Not that this means I'm gonna quit worrying, but I think I can go unbar the door and allow Jake to go to work in the morning.

I am so thankful that Jed is okay, and I'm gonna keep praying that Jake continues to be safe. I am grateful for the good job he has, especially in these unstable times. I know Heavenly Father is aware of us and he has calmed my fears before and will continue to do so. I came across this quote a little while ago and it pretty much sums up what I've been feeling today.

"Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, then it's not the end"

6 comments:

Holly said...

Wow! When I saw the picture and the truck I thought, OH! NO! I hope Jake is OK and then I read on! I don't know if any words in the world can talk you down but I do know that prayer is the best cure all. I know everyone always says that but I always carry a prayer in my heart for Jay. I hope that helps a little...

Carrie Snider said...

That is so scary!

Heather J. said...

I'm glad Jed is okay. Talk about scary. I think we all worry for our husband's safety. It must go with the job of being a wife.

The Cook Clan said...

Oh my goodness!!!! That is crazy. I've never seen anything like that. I agree with Heather, I think we all worry, but my husbands job isn't that scary.

Blake & Melissa said...

Holy cow!

Chandra said...

Wow! Talk about CRAZY SCARY!!! I'm glad everything worked out. He definitely had Heavenly Father looking out for him. There's no other way he would have even survived that burn! Cute Blog! We are thejeppsonfam.blogspot.com