Saturday, September 6, 2008

Oh Happy Day!

Today was the first day in a week and half that I can truly call a happy day. It was the first day that Luke has actually seemed to be getting better. He woke up happy, energetic, and best of all - HUNGRY! Yeah for a hungry baby!! I didn't really know what to expect when I got up this morning since he had another rough night last night, but I was oh, so pleasantly surprised and relieved that he wanted to eat for a change. I didn't get the chance to post yesterday with any updates because it was really the worst day he'd had since he got sick. The day consisted of constant whining and crying in between periods of glazed over lethargy and pitifulness. Needless to say, not one of either Luke's or mine best of days. He had a checkup at the doctor to see how he was doing and we were told that he needed more fluid and the port ought to stay in another day. The doctor also told me that Luke either really needed to start drinking at home or he was gonna need to be put in the hospital. Well, I opted to give it a little more time at home and hope for the best. We then left the pediatrician's office to go over to the pharmacy for the IV infusion and I had an unwelcome surprise in the parking lot. My car was dead. Absolutely no juice, nothing. Since Jake was still working, I called my brother who is a service writer at a local mechanic shop and then started bawling to him on the phone. (I am very sorry Stephen that you had to be the one to witness my meltdown over the final straw for me. I do want to thank you though for your calm, patience, and help in getting my car taken care of - it really meant alot!) Well, the service guy from the shop came to give my car a jump but my battery wouldn't hold a charge so he followed me over to the shop where they could take a look at it. Stephen very generously let me borrow his van so I could take Luke to get the IV infusion. We arrived to find that the nurse was ready and waiting so Luke and I settled in with some toys and books for the hour it took for the IV to drip. He was not very patient with this process. When our time was finally up, we drove our loner van home to await news on my car. The rest of the evening continued in the pattern previously set - whining, crying, etc. I was one happy momma when bedtime rolled around lemme tell ya. Fortunately, Luke went to bed pretty easily, but sadly didn't stay sleeping so peacefully. We had another bad night filled with many tears and very little actual sleeping for both of us. Now back to today. We had another doctor visit first thing to see how Luke was doing and if the IV from yesterday made enough of a difference that the IV port could be taken out. The lab had also gotten back the test results from the samples I brought in yesterday. They ruled out most of the scary stuff that they tested for and the doctor concluded it was a viral infection, mostly likely enterovirus. He told us that being the diagnosis that Luke was fortunate that it wasn't worse since this virus can often lead to meningitis. Yikes! Well, after I told the doctor about how much better Luke was acting this morning and upon examining him, we both felt that he was over the worst and the port could be removed. Yes, yes, yes - can you see my virtual fist pumps in the air? LOL Luke did not enjoy the removal process at all. His little face just crumbled and then he proceeded to let me, the nurse, and Kimberly (who came with us) know that he was not happy about it. After the bandaid was in place and the worst was over, he seemed pretty excited to be able to use his hand again. He kept reaching over and pointing to the bandaid. It was pretty funny. Kimberly and I decided to do a little shopping in celebration of this happy day and then returned to the house for resting and napping. I only wish I had been able to get in on the napping. The rest of the day, I mostly spent chasing after Luke and pulling him away from getting into things. While he's not 100% yet, he tires out easily, and his appetite isn't what it was, I am so thankful to have my happy, busy boy back!

9 comments:

Erin said...

YAY for a Pip on the mend! I am super glad he is feeling better, but that picture of him in his car seat is about the most pathetic thing I have ever seen.... big tears on his cheek and pointing at his owie. Sad!

Heather J. said...

Glad Luke is doing better. If it makes you feel any better Stephen has lots of experience with women crying on the phone with him and I'm not just talking about me and your sisters. He's had plenty of strangers cry on the phone too. Gotta love your job when you make a grown woman cry on the phone. :)He handles it well though, doesn't he?

Anonymous said...

so glad he's doing better.

Susanna said...

I'm so glad he is feeling better! It is never fun to have a sick kid. Are those curls that I see in his hair? How cute! It's been way to long since I've seen you guys.

Kesterfam said...

Mandy, It was so fun to look at your blog and catch up on what you're up to. Luke is sooo cute! His b-day cake was awesome. I'm sorry he's been sick and I'm glad to see he's on the mend.
Hugs!
Alicia

The Cook Clan said...

We are really glad to see he is feeling a little better. Poor kiddo!

Heather J. said...

Mandy, I am tagging you on my blog so take a look and play if you would like.

Tara said...

Mandy,
Luke is the sweetest baby, I'm so glad he's feeling better. I am sure that was traumatic for both of you. I love your blog and all of the cute pics of Luke. I hope I get to see you and him (and of course Jake!)soon. Luv ya!

Laurene said...

Those flu bugs are scary! Kevin is back to work today after being down since 5 p.m. Friday. He has never been that sick our whole marriage! (He is still quite weak but will take it easy on the job.)