Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Interesting day...

For the first time in seemingly a long time, I had nothing that I had to do today and nowhere I had to be. The morning started off wonderfully with me being able to wake up entirely on my own at get this - 9:40 am! I know many of you moms with young children may now be completely amazed and insanely jealous at this point and for that I humbly apologize. With a spring in my step - yes, occassionaly this does actually happen to me, I got up, showered, and made myself presentable to the rest of the world. Luke had since woken up, so I got him fed and ready for the day as well. I then mentally proceeded to review all the things I should do with this bounteous and rare day of freedom.

Housework, nope - don't wanna
Yardwork, big no - too hot and too many allergies
Various projects in various states of incompletion, nah - too overwhelming
Shopping, yes - that sounds like fun

So off Luke and I went to the mall. While enroute, I thought that today might finally be a good day to look into getting some new eyeglasses since my current pair are outdated and the prescription isn't what it needs to be. A friend of ours is the manager at the local Lens Crafters at the mall, so this became our destination. In less than 15 minutes, I had my frames picked out, the lenses decided upon, and everything paid for (thanks for the awesome deal, Joe) with the promise that they would be ready in an hour. Sweet!, I thought, Luke and I will wander the mall for an hour and then come back and pick them up. The two of us set out to peruse, meander, and generally not be in any hurry whatsoever for a change.

I called Jake to tell him about my new glasses deal. While I'm chatting, I'm walking and pushing Luke in his stroller and absentmindedly noticing the people I am passing. As I pass a small group of 3 or 4 individuals, I think, gosh they look familiar and continue on with my walking and talking. I get about a store past the group and realize, hey, that's J-, Luke's birth mom that I just passed. I kinda stopped and stand to the side and debate whether I should go back or not. I haven't seen J in person since Luke was 5 days old and she hasn't seen Luke since he was 2 days old. We've kept in contact with pictures and letters during the past year but no personal visits after the initial meeting. What to do, what to do, I can't decide so I ask Jake and he encourages me to go back and talk to them. Before I lost my nerve, I turned around and walked back towards them and called out J's name. She turned and saw me as well as her mom and I think pretty much instantly recognized me. Her eyes then immediately went to Luke in the stroller. After initial greetings, I asked if she wanted to hold him and she did so I took him out and handed him to her. After that, I don't think J really followed the conversation much as she just seemed to kind of drink Luke in if you will as she smiled at and talked to him. He smiled for her a little bit but was needing a nap so he was somewhat subdued. I talked to her mom and brother, who was also there, for about 5 to 10 minutes. We mostly talked about Luke and how he was doing and so forth. The real significance and most interesting part of this whole visit for me was when her mom told me that upon seeing Luke and hearing about him and through our letters she knew they made the right decision in choosing us and Luke is where he needs to be. I mean, I think so but it just kinda soothed away the past year's doubts and uncertainty of my wondering if they wanted to change their minds - and even some guilt on my part that Jake and I had this wonderful baby to enjoy each and everyday and what they were missing out on. It felt as if a weight had been lifted from me that I didn't even realize I'd been so burdened by. Well after discussing Luke some more,telling news of Jake and I, and hearing about them, we pretty much ran out of conversation so I took Luke back from J, put him in his stroller, and we waved goodbye. Luke and I then managed to fulfill our mission of wandering, went back and got my new specs, and returned home.

Isn't it interesting that its often in the unscheduled moments that the most significant things take place. So, I guess my advice (lol), if you want to call it that, is have a don't wanna/don't haveta day and see what happens. You might be surprised.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My jaw is on the floor!! You can just see her in public, talk, show off your son and continue on your day!! Wow how neat and weird all at once. (as an adoptee back in the 70s everything was closed and secret so all this open adoption stuff just floors me). How neat to get a closure feeling and she knows it was right too. Have fun with your little man

Laurene said...

I love your journalism style! Thank you so much for sharing such timely messages on your blog. Anyone who comes here just to look at the "picture book" will sadly miss out on a lot of "good stuff"!!!