Sunday, July 20, 2008

Summer Fun in Island Park











Jake's family rented the same cabin in Island Park that we went to back in February. Once again, we had such a fun time but enjoyed it in a totally different way. We kicked back on the deck, enjoyed the water, and just spent alot of time outside. Luke loved riding around in the little toddler cars that were on the deck. There was also a kiddie pool that we filled up and since he loves baths so much, I thought he would love sitting in it. Yeah, not so much. He immediately started crying when I put him in the water and there was no convincing him that it was fun. Oh well, maybe he takes after Jake and his dislike of large bodies of water. I enjoyed going out for rides in the Foster's motor boat. Now, that is something I would love if we owned - a motor boat that is. Too bad, I will never convince Jake to get one- again that whole water thing can be such a bummer when one of you loves it and the other doesn't. Its a good thing we agree on the more important things in life or we might have some real issues to work out.

In the evenings, we played games, watched movies on the big screen TV, and just talked. I have to give myself one little self-congratulatory moment in that I beat my 3 older brothers-in-law in a very competitive, cutthroat game of hearts. Go me! It was not an easy win and I won't be letting them forget it anytime soon. Just had to share that and I will now resume my normal state of humility. I did have one pretty scary moment from the weekend that I am sure will stay with me for a LONG time. I was getting Luke ready for a bath one night when two of my 7 year old nieces came in and wanted to help. I told them sure and proceeded to get Luke undressed and in the tub. I then stepped out of the bathroom into the adjoining bedroom and got things laid out for afterwards while the girls played with him thinking all was okay since they were in there. All of the sudden they started yelling and I went running back in there and Luke had slipped completely under the water. *GASP* I quickly pushed past them and pulled him out. He then coughed and coughed followed by hysterical crying. I finally got him calmed down enough to quickly finish bathing him, but I didn't calm down for a very long time. The sight of him helpless under the water, even with others so close, was truly frightening. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and do not plan to ever leave him unattended again. Things happen so quickly and I am just so thankful for guardian angels watching over us even when we use our less than best judgment.

Other than that one heart-stopping moment, it was a great weekend and I feel alot more relaxed and refreshed. I only wish the cabin was ours to use anytime we wanted. Wishful thinking!

No comments: