Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Inchin' Along


Luke may not be the fastest baby on the block but he improvises. He's still working on coordinating all the crawling motions and in the meantime has brought back the inchworm dance move from the 80's. Its a sad day for mom when baby realizes he no longer is stuck where mom puts him. Don't get me wrong I want him to crawl and walk just like any proud momma does but it has not really bothered me at all that he's taking his time on these things. People often ask me if he's crawling or walking yet and when I reply no they act like oh that's too bad and then proceed to comfort/advise me that every baby is different and he'll get there. To which I smile and nod while simultaneously smothering my natural tendency to make a smart, sarcastic remark back or *gasp* confess that I am totally okay with his rate of development. In fact, after a recent incident of the forthcoming joys of a newly mobile baby, I could stand to wait a little longer even.

A few days ago, Luke was playing with his toys on the living room floor while I was getting ready for the day in the bathroom just down the hall. From there I can easily hear and even see him when I poked my head out. I checked on him frequently and each time noted him playing happily, chewing on his toys, and jabbering away. I finally finished fluffing my 'do as Jake puts it and walked into the living room to discover that what Luke was so merrily enjoying was the dog's partially chewed rawhide dog bone. Yuck!! I, of course, quickly took it away and then wondered how on earth he managed to get ahold of it. I may not be Jessica Fletcher (another little 80's flashback for my mom there) but it didn't take long to figure out that he'd inched his way across the floor and seized this golden opportunity to try some new, tasty item. So, if this is merely a taste (pun intended there) of what's in store, then all I can say is inch along Luke and take your time.

3 comments:

Susanna said...

This is Lily's new favorite! She was laughing hysterically. I asked her what she thought was so funny. She said, "He sounds like a growling bear."

Kimmy said...

He's so fun! It's a pity that we can't just leave him in the middle of the floor anymore and just listen for any mishaps. He's speedy, too. What a fun kid!

Holly said...

Love it!! He is too cute! WOW has we grown! Miss you!