
The first of June brings one of the most dreaded times of year for me, the summer reading program at the library. Why you might ask would a book lover such as myself dislike such a wonderful program that promotes children's reading and literacy? I have just one answer for you - the kids. Don't get me wrong, I love kids! But when mom is usually the one dragging them reluctantly through the door to sign up for a program that is gonna force them to spend part of their summer break reading when that's the last thing most of them want to think about, its not so fun.
Here's a basic overview of my last couple of days, herds of cranky kids, accompanied by frustrated moms, total disarray and chaos, repeating myself 50 times a day, and my favorite part of all - the "special" free gift each child gets for signing up. You may now be wondering what is this wonderful treat that each munchkin from ages 2 to 14 adores but makes me want to find the nearest wall to bang my head against just to find relief? I don't think mere words can fully convey this little treasure but basically it is a small, metal bug (to go along with our theme for the year) that when you press the tab on it makes a metallic clicking noise. Now, imagine a smallish room roughly the size of your average living room and add to it:
1 metal clicking bug = not so bad, mildly irritating but nothing I can't handle and isn't 2 year-old Johnny adorable with it
2 metal clicking bugs = Johnny is now joined by his 4 year-old brother Jimmy which now changes irritating to annoying
3+ metal clicking bugs = annoying is now completely bypassed by a headache and an almost overwhelming desire to rip them from chubby little fingers and smash them underfoot on the floor as Jimmy and Johnny are merely the prelude to the noise Suzy, Sally, Mike, Lisa, Billy, Joey, etc. are now orchestrating with the constant clicking
Okay so obviously, I have some issues. My therapists and I, aka diet Pepsi and some peanut m & m's are currently working through them together. By the way, a cheap therapy session and one I would highly recommend.
Well, I guess that's it for tonight kids, but tune in tomorrow for the latest edition of the summer reading program annoyances when we combine the sign-ups with 2+ hours of story time and first day training of a new employee. Don't be jealous now.
*Disclaimer - The bulletin board art was done by none other than my artistic sister, Kimberly. I have had many compliments and comments about and while I have been tempted to take credit for it, thus far I have managed to give credit where credit is due. Thanks, Kimmy!
7 comments:
You are hilarious! I am laughing out loud as I sit at my desk at work and read your post and people are wondering about me. Sounds like you have had a fun couple of days and the fun will continue today. Who's brgith idea was it give clicking bugs to small children? Wonder how many mothers have "lost" the bugs after they leave the library. Cute bulletin board, Kimberly is good!
Yeah!! You have a blog! I just love you posts and I just love your name- you are so talented and creative!!! I must say Luke is so cute and you are a cute mom! I will be adding you to my fellow bloggers list!
You updated! I'm so proud, good for you. Clearly the person who came up with the bugs either doesn't have small children or something. Duh... I'd be wanting to smash them too. I agree with Mom, I bet a lot of them got "lost" after they left the library. Maybe you should check the bushes outside, you could recycle some of them.
I can't believe you've kept your blog hidden for so long! Thanks for finally sharing! It is so cute. I used to think Jake was talented in his writting, but now I see your writting talent is a tough match up to Jake.
I'm so jealous that you got to do the reading sign up headache instead of dry ol' So. Cal. I'm green with envy. That sounds like more than just Pepsi therapy. Wow. I hope Luke was good that day. (Thanks for the credit for the bulletin board. It looks better with the wood stands you put on the bottom.)
Ugh. I worked at my public library from age 11 (well, technically I volunteered until age 14) until I went to college. I have done more than my fair share of summer reading programs! LOL I used to be the person in charge of sign ups and prize distribution / record keeping. Now I cringe when my sweet dd wants to go sign up for the reading program... yes, I want to encourage reading, but going to the summer reading program dredges up memories best left undredged! LOL
My wife pointed out this blog to me. Tell Jake hi, then point at him like your shooting a gun. Congrats to the Reformer on a handsome son. Ben Clark
Post a Comment